Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Rim job

I was really hoping for a snow day this morning. I got two around this time last year, so it seemed within the realm of possibility. Almost every school in Franklin county shut down, but we didn't even have a Level One Snow Emergency, so off to work I went. The roads were BAD. Nothing in town had even been touched with a plow. I hadn't even made it a mile from my house when I hit a particularly rough patch; my car did a complete 180, skipped up the curb, and landed fully in the front lawn of Westerville South High School. Thankfully nobody was around to witness my idiocy/be killed by my wildly careening (20 mph) vehicle, so I just put it in reverse, turned around, and went on my way to work (1 hour commute today). The freeways were in nasty shape, and King Avenue was its usual almost impassable self. I don't know what it is about that road when it snows, but you should definitely avoid it.

Anyway, when I got to work I saw that my back left rim was all bent up and a piece of the hubcap had broken off. Great. Everything else seems okay, so I shouldn't really complain, but it put me on edge because I had a similar bent-rim situation a couple years back and I ended up with a flat tire by the end of the work day. Luckily this tire has held up. I just have to make it to work and back tomorrow...Thursday I work just down the road, and Friday I'm off so I can take it in to get straightened out. Ugh. Why couldn't they have just closed the damn library? It was a slow day anyway.

Oh, and I also found like 4 dead roaches and their, um, "leavings" in a book today. And yesterday a crackhead told me to fuck myself like, 9000 times in a row. So...not the best week so far.

2 comments:

Erica said...

It sounds like you need a drink.

Oh, what luck! We are going to a brewery Friday night!

In all seriousness though, I'm glad you're okay and ended up in a lawn instead of running into another car. A bent rim is much better than a dead Chaser. Although, that DOES sound like a good name for a drink.

Mary said...

At least you didn't bend the wheel, that sucks more than the rim, because the wheel itself costs a lot more than a tire or rim alone! I had a bent wheel once on my car, apparently I must have hit a pothole really hard? they said i should have remembered doing it- I didn't.